Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Macal River and Baldy Beacon area












Yesterday late afternoon Charles and I drove out to the Chiquibul with 2 kayaker/assistants and an FCD Ranger to scope out a the headwaters of the Macal River. Derric, the park manager at FCD needed photos and information on that section of river and Charles needed to scope out the macaw nests so it worked out well for everyone. We went through some crazy roads and didn't get to our camp site until almost dark (yikes!). I can't believe the jeep made it all that way and back - the poor jeep. And it's hobbling - having a hard time starting. I'm getting a mechanic to look at it today(probably the fuel filter with all that Mexican and Guatemalan gas...who knows).

I was on my own getting the jeep back out this morning (I made it, phew). The photos are of sunrise near Baldy Beacon. We were actually COLD sleeping out a night - YEAH! We got up at sunrise and drove abother 1/2 hour to the river this morning from the camp...it was barely a stream that high up at the headwaters (see the top photo behind Charles). I bet they are carrying those plastic kayaks every 20 feet - at least for the first part of today. After a while downstream, there's more water, easier going, and better chance for macaw nests in quam wood tree (those trees mostly grow in the streamside bogs).

I have 2 towns worth of interviews set up here in the Cayo district tomorrow and Wednesday. Finally getting a move on that project - yeay. I'll go get those guys Thursday afternoon or Friday morning - and we might get a long weekend and head to the coast I hope. Both of us realize we're not going to get much of a break here in Belize. Ernesto is helping me with the mechanic. His family is SOooo nice to us - amazing hospitality. Their kids are saying we need more 'fun time' - they just want to play with us. They are so right. Charles is out each week with FCD looking at sites. Good for his research - really good since he needs to get to these sites. But with all my work too it's a busy summer!!

I hope everyone is doing well! It's crazy to think tomorrow is JULY already. Wow...

No comments:

Post a Comment