Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Village Interviews




I started my interviews today in Bullet Tree Falls village near San Ignacio town - here are a few pictures. (the last one - we couldn't resist. A 'house' we randomly selected was a resort with a pool...sooo....) It's so good to finally start on this project. It took ALL day to do these 10 interviews but it was a lot of fun. I hired a local teacher to take me around to houses - we stopped at every 5th house to interview people. (Janie -I decided against the workshop idea since I have really only 1 day in each village - we're really short on time). Tomorrow I'm off to San Antonio village (I'm hiring a woman from the Maya women's craft-co-op group to be my town guide). San Antonio is about 1/2 hour south of San Ignacio close to our friend Daniel's place. Yesterday Daniel set up place on his property JUST for the Soul Pad-yeah.

Charles called me this afternoon with his satellite phone. They made it to the pull out site a day and a half early! They must have been moving! I'm looking forward to hearing the story of what they saw. Our friend Ernesto is driving out there to pick them up from the ranger station early tomorrow - (Derric picked them up from the river and took them an hour to the ranger station near Caracol) but it was too late in the evening to drive out there so Ernesto will do it first light tomorrow while I interview people in San Antonio. It's good to have such good friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment