Thursday, July 23, 2009

Reservoir to Raspaculo branch

Charles: As Kristi mentioned below, it was a 3 day paddling excursion up the reservoir. We were able to visit one nest (was hoping for three but better than nothing). However, I'm worried that I sacrificed the last of the good weather...Yikes! I had to cancel my trip to the Chiquibul River afterwards due to a tropical wave moving in and flooding the area. I'm hoping that by Monday I'll be able to go out. Time is getting very short! I need to finish my field work by next Friday (sweating with nerves).

The misty valleys in the morning up river were extremely serene... Here are the raucous macaws feeding on polewood...


KRISTI: Hey everyone. I got to tag along on one of the Chiquibul adventures (finally!). It was pretty crazy, paddling for 3 days and getting into some incredible 'bush'. Charles climbed a tree and took habitat data (no macaws left, they've all fledged). We even had an interesting Xatero encounter - more on that later! Some tropical rains are coming in over this week so perhaps its time for more community surveys. Only 3 more villages (Placencia, Riversdale and Mullins River) to go - probably will do those next week. Then caye caulker to finish...ahhh (hopefully without the rains - we'll try to time it right!). Here are some photos from the trip - I think Charles will post some later. (Photo below from left to right: our friends Gliss, Lenney, Ranger John and Charles looking at tree-climbing gear)


No comments:

Post a Comment