Thursday, June 4, 2009

The real macaw

Hey, Kristi here. I'm here in Salt Lake City for a week. Charles is in Guatemala getting some training on Macaws, sharing methods and collaborating really well with Wildlife Conservation Society folks in Flores. The WCS folks are SO nice and you can tell they are all so passionate about their work. They get to work early and stay late and they all have smiles on their faces, so friendly! So Charles is spending a few nights (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) at the National Park west of Flores. There are a couple field stations out there they are camping at (camping meaning either using the trusty Hennessy tent hammock http://hennessyhammock.com/specs-expeditionasym.html or using cots inside a larger screened in room). There's a kitchen and other buildings at the facility, but they have to travel out from there to find the nests. We were there on a day trip last week (see photos below of one nest site we visited). Charles is really excited to get to these nest sites - they know exactly where several nests are so he's ready to go. (I'll head there in a week and a half and spend a week out there with them to catch up on training. Until then, I have to get to Belize and start on my survey/research I have to complete this summer).

So this week Charles is learning how to handle and measure Macaw chicks. A veterinarian is with the group to provide training on handling. Earlier this season, the vets were finding/removing a lot of botflies in the chicks also - gross. These poor little guys. So we'll wait to see what kind of photos and narrative Charles comes back with after Thursday or Friday.
I hope everyone is doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment