Tuesday, June 16, 2009





KRISTI: Hey folks! I just got back to Belize yesterday and now Flores this morning. Above are some photos of my flight over to Flores from Belize City (in a 4-seater cessna). Amazing clouds. In the top photo you can barely see the landing strip on the left edge. If you follow that landing strip up, you can see the tiny island of Flores. (You can see me waving if you look really hard)! So Challo and Rony (WCS staff) told me Charles and crew are coming back to Flores from the jungle tomorrow (probably due to the expected rains) so I'm chilling here instead of going out there (what a bummer, no field time this week again unless we go later this week...who knows). Maybe if we have a long weekend coming up though, we'll head to Semuc Champey. This is an awesome place near Coban I went to several years ago.

So yesterday I stayed in Belize at my friend Mindy's place. (Thanks Mindy, Kai and Dave!) We hung out on her porch chatting and watching it drizzle, and then rain, then rain hard - it was really nice. I do belive the rainy season has started already in Belize. It rained pretty hard through the night too plus tons of flying termites are the tell-tale sign. I bet it's coming here to Flores soon - we're supposed to have some heavy rains over the next few days which makes getting out to the research area near impossible with all the mud. Our plan now is to head to Belize middle of next week and head directly to Placencia for some R&R - its Lobsterfest - the opening of the Lobster season! yehhhhhh! I hope everyone is doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment